Monday, June 21, 2010

Do we make up stereotypes then follow them or are they indicating actual characteristics?

I ask this as most stereotypes have a grain of truth, is that cause people act like what they're expected to act like?


Example: I'm Irish and every time an American talks to me I become more typically Irish cause that's what their expecting, can't help it.Do we make up stereotypes then follow them or are they indicating actual characteristics?
As you said there is some truth, but it's important to realize that not every single person will fall into one of the many stereo types out there.Do we make up stereotypes then follow them or are they indicating actual characteristics?
stereotypes are generalizations about a group of people based on anything from race to religion to whatever. it is the stupidity of human nature to associate certain races with certain behaviors or characteristics; for example, a stereotype can be made that all muslims strap bombs to their chest and blow themselves up; this simply isn't true for all muslims, but for a few brainwashed, weak minded radicals that destroy the good name of the religion for everyone else. Stereotypes will probably never go away, the best thing to do is to either laugh it off as good clean fun or take offense. That's completely up to the person and the situation.
Hey, this is a great topic, that I growl/think about quite a lot. lol


I'm generally labeled a ';goth'; or ';punk';, because of the way I dress/think. Now, stereotypes, to me, are a bunch of crap that people make up to make themselves feel better about themselves- either so they can boast that they're something in particular, or so they can bash people in a stereotype that they don't approve of. That's what I get a lot of. People can be so horrible to people that they don't understand...why not just leave them alone and let them do their own thing?


Anyway.


It really depends on the individual person, I think, and what they choose to do/think.


I think people do gravitate towards certain stereotypes, based on their personality and views, and that's really great that we can define ourselves like that. On the other hand, we often tend to take it too far, and start assuming things about other people, because some types of people tend to misunderstand other types of people.


For example, because I choose to dress in a different way, people assume that I'm some dark, satanic, druggie freak, when I'm none of that. I'm a very happy, fun loving, healthy, etc, person that just enjoys being different.


So what I'm trying to say, is that I think stereotypes aren't about WHAT we are at all, I think it's about how we like to judge and place others, and ourselves.


So yeah, that turned out to be a really long answer, I'm sorry. XD


Peace~
Stereotypes are made based on observation that is somewhat bias.








An example of this is saying that all girls care about is make-up %26amp; fashion based on that being the type of girls you've seen %26amp; completely ignoring the other girls who like sports or books.





Stereotyping will always make people seem like they're somewhat ignorant because there is always a person that wont fit into that mold
Stereotypes come from observations made by several people. Someone has to be acting or doing something in order to get tagged with a stereotype. It amazes me how defensive people get about them too.





I ride a big noisy motorcycle - I have for over 38 years. For most of that time, the stereotype was: any female that rides motorcycles is a ';dike';. I am far from it, but I am aware some people still believe that stereotype. I can even understand where and when that got started, but I do not CARE. Never in a million years would I even think to act like a dike just because that is the stereotype. THAT is just ridiculous.
There's truth to some stereotypes because how could they have gotten started in the first place I'm also Irish %26amp; I've been asked several times is it true that you Irish are all drunks %26amp; live on potatoes lol %26amp; of course I say No My bf is Puerto Rican she %26amp; her husband are far from the stereotype that we hear but we all have good %26amp; bad in all our Cultures Slainte (cheers %26amp; health)
It's just our culture and media blowing things out of proportion as usual. You can't blame the people and cultures who ccollectively enjoy something. It's just that. Their CULTURE. Plain and simple.
stereotypes are bullshit. they are basted on crap.
well i think we completely make up stereotypes. all people are different and can fit in with multiple stereotypical groups.





hope i helped :)
stereotypes = racism





(your Irish cool i love the Irish :D )

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
skin rash