Monday, June 21, 2010

Ever wonder if umpires sometimes make up a call because they missed it?

For instance when a first or third base umpire is asked his opinion on a check swing. How many times do you think these guys just didn't see the check swing because he was zoning out or kicking dandelions?Ever wonder if umpires sometimes make up a call because they missed it?
I know they do.Ever wonder if umpires sometimes make up a call because they missed it?
I wouldn't use the term ';making up a call'; but I think they miss it and try to judge off general people's reactions. I think when a catcher slash pitcher ask him on the check swing just cause they are supposed to you can tell. But when a batter knows he went through and the catcher and pitcher are intent on it if he missed the call he gives them the benefit of the doubt. Not sure but that would be my observation
You can get surprised by a play but the MLB umpires concentrate at every play and have no problems with the check swing appeal.





I worked in the Midwest League in 1999. IN Rockford one night, West Michigan probably had the runner at second picked off but as I turned I caught a glare of the sun off the windshields inthe parking lot and never saw the play. All I saw was the runner under the tag and ruled him safe. No argument ensued so I thought maybe I did get it right. Next inning the 1B coach of WM asked what I saw and I told him -- he said good answer -- that's why you will do well in this game. He also said the tag was there but no big deal.
I'm a College Umpire and most umps don't do that,maybe the inexperienced ones might.I just admit that maybe I missed one and move on. But if a coach gets in your ear it might have a adverse effect for his team.But most of the time we kick plays like the fielders do,it happens
I know the thing I look at now umpiring little league is that if I don't see the call, call it safe. It's easier for the defense to make up for a safe call than for the offense to make up an out. So, yeah it happens.
I know for a fact that umpires make up calls when they miss something. I was an umpire and I did it. If a catcher asked my opinion on a check swing and I wasn't paying attention, I'd always just say it wasn't a swing.
if they dont see the swing and miss than they cant call it. next i am sure it has happen.





But it says bursh it off and conutine the game. dont make a fix up call. its worrines the game.
i have seen where the umpiire is wrong and he still will keep his call that he made at first instead of changing and isf the manager get into with the um then he is egected
Of course it happens. Everyone makes mistakes, even umpires. I know, as a mom of a softball player for many years.
Absolutely! Sorry to say....


They do have a lot to do on the field, but brain farts happen and they must react even of inaccurately.
Or they were busy checking out the blonde with amazing knockers. happens to me all the time at work.
It happens enough that ';make up'; calls are a part of the game.
they definitely do! sometimes they don't respond quickly at all...they must have been zoned out.
no that is their job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
skin rash